Thursday, August 27, 2009

Gods and Generals

I watched Gods and Generals the other day, and with all that's been going on in the current political scene, I can see how some southerners saw the Civil War as a battle over states rights. Of course, they were fighting for the right to keep slavery going, which I don't condone, but, I can see how the president running roughshod over issues they had historically controlled could be seen as usurpation and really, completely against the idea of States that are United, instead of United States.

I might think some more about this and put up a longer, more thorough post. hmmm. but for now, I've got to get some sleep. It's far too late and I have an early morning tomorrow. Not to mention the fact that I start work tomorrow night and that means when I get up tomorrow, I won't get to go back to sleep until Saturday at 6:30 am.

I will add, in closing, that the movie has given new birth to a longing for my home state. These last couple days I've missed Virginia more than I can say.

No comments:

Post a Comment